Saturday, June 18, 2011

Out into the world

This is the Preface from Act of Faith:

Dear Reader,
This book you hold is a treasure, of sorts, as is every book I have ever known.
I have made it for you – especially you – for reasons you will understand as my words unfurl before your eyes.
Turn these pages tenderly.
You hold my life in your hands.
Isabella Hawkins
Venice
1647

They are my words, of course, and as I send the book out into the world I feel much the same as - years ago - I imagined Isabella might when I wrote those lines in her voice.

These weeks around a book release are anxious ones - this time more so, for some reason.

But I've realised over the last couple of days that worrying, although inevitable, is useless.

I have made as good a book as I can.

That's all I can do.

No comments: