- Where's Anthony Browne?(That's all quite apart from the girl who asked if I used to wear my eye patch when I was a pirate)
- Don't be stupid. Girls aren't pirates.
[and then, following assurances of historical fact, "That's not even true."]
- Nana, I love you ["I love you, too," said Nana from the rear of the room, "now sit down and listen to the story".]
- What's that great big thing on your head? [It's a mole. And it's coming off next week, but thanks for pointing it out.]
- Are you Margaret Mahy?
- Pirates are really ugly, aren't they?
- I'll swab the deck. That sounds good. What's swab?
- No, let's not read that book. Let's read a different book.
- They better not feed ME to the sharks. I'd just eat those sharks right up.
- How do you find the pirate treasure?
- Can you read three more books? OK, two. And then another one.
We've made treasure maps and pirate hats, we've dressed up, we've even played pin the parrot on the pirate's posterior, we've eaten quite a bit of treasure, and we've read pirate stories until we're hoarse.
Now we need a cup of tea and a good lie down.