Monday, March 06, 2006

The original web

What am I saying to my readers? Well, I never know. Writing to me is not an exercise in addressing readers, it is more as though I were talking to myself while shaving.
My foray into the field of children's literature was an accident, and although I do not mean to suggest that I spun my two yarns in perfect innocence and that I did not set about writing "Charlotte's Web" deliberately, nevertheless, the thing started innocently enough, and I kept on because I found it was fun. It also became rewarding in other ways - and that was a surprise, as I am not essentially a storyteller and was taking a holiday from my regular work.
All that I ever hope to say in books is that I love the world. I guess you can find that in there, if you dig around.


- E.B. White

I think I can see an unnecessary comma in there. I might report him to Mister Strunk. Or possibly Mrs Parker.

No comments: