Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Lies, damn lies, and fiction

"I became a novelist because I am interested in exploring the truth. If I wanted to lie to readers, I'd write a memoir."
- Tim Hall, Blogcritics.

"Fiction is a piece of truth that turns lies to meaning."
- Dorothy Allison, Skin.

"I am an author of fiction, I lie for a living, I am paid to perpetuate a habit I picked up in childhood; the one which leads me to tell stories which are not true."
- A L Kennedy, Edinburgh Book Festival, 2001.

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn’t."
- Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson

"A writer is congenitally unable to tell the truth and that is why we call what he writes fiction."
- William Faulkner

"I'm telling you stories. Trust me."
- Jeannette Winterson, any time, anywhere.

No comments: